Home Advice Clinics Landlord-Tenant Help Family Law Help Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Foundation Volunteer Opportunities Contact Us

Tacoma-Pierce County Housing Justice Project

Do you need legal advice about a landlord-tenant problem (rental agreements, moving, deposits, foreclosure notices, repairs, eviction, etc.) or any other type of housing issue? Call the Housing Justice Project at (253) 572-5134, or e-mail vls@tacomaprobono.org.

NOW IN THE PIERCE COUNTY COURTHOUSE -- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.  If you are facing an eviction hearing, arrive early to connect with a HJP volunteer attorney.  If you are a low-income tenant, our attorneys are there to provide advice and potentially negotiate with opposing counsel or represent you at the hearing.  You do not need an appointment if you have an unlawful detainer hearing scheduled Monday-Thursday.  HJP attorneys are located in the Law Library, in the Lawhelp Center conference room.

Landlord-Tenant Basics

The presentations below provide basic information about legal rights and obligations under Washington's Residential Landlord-Tenant law. The slides will open in a new window where you may view, download or print the material.

Rent and Rental Agreements

Moving Out and Deposits


The Eviction Process

Housing Information & Resources

HOUSING RESOURCES (Landlord-Tenant, Fair Housing, Foreclosure Mediation, etc.)

Housing Justice Project Resource Brochure (pdf)

Foreclosure Fairness brochure from the Dept. of Commerce (pdf)

Summary of Changes to the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act effective 7/22/2011 (pdf)

What You Should Know About Foreclosure (for homeowners and renters) (pdf)

Links to Online Resources

The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Last updated June 22, 2016