Home Advice Clinics Landlord-Tenant Help Family Law Help Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Foundation Volunteer Opportunities Contact Us

Who we are and how to find us!

Click here for Veteran and Active Military Legal Help

ARE YOU FACING EVICTION? Click here to get Landlord-Tenant Help

Adult Guardianship Resource Page

Native American Legal Aid Program

Family Law Help

Volunteer! GIVE 2 in 2020


To our clients: Our office is CLOSED FOR WALK-IN INTAKE AND IN-PERSON CLINICS until further notice to help us all stay healthy and stop the spread of COVID-19. However, our staff and volunteers are still working remotely and can provide legal services by phone. Click Here to leave your contact information with our clinic coordinator. We will contact you via email for intake and screening, but we are currently unable to provide a reliable time frame within which you can expect a response; we will begin responding to emails after April 10, 2020. We appreciate your patience as we continue to work on implementing this process. Please keep in mind that all appointments are subject to change and not guaranteed.

Do you have questions related to COVID-19 and the current 'Stay Home' order? Click Here to contact our team of volunteer attorneys working to provide expedited answers to your legal questions during this crisis.

To our Native American Legal Aid Program clients: We are still open for telephonic appointments. Call our Intake Line at (253) 244-7718 and leave us a message. If you do not receive a callback within 3-4 business days, email Sheila at sheila@tacomaprobono.org. Although the Courts are closed for non-emergency matters, we can give advice and help at telephonic hearings for emergency issues.

To our volunteers: As many of our staff as possible are working from home but we are all available and here to support you if you are presently volunteering or would like to learn more about what you can do to help. This is a great time to 'Give 2 in 2020!'

Click Here for an UPDATE for residential tenants on Washington Housing Law during the COVID-19 crisis.

We can't do it without YOU! To make a tax-deductible donation to the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Foundation to support Tacomaprobono's legal aid programs via PayPal: Click Here

Do you have a legal issue in Pierce County but no money to hire an attorney?

Tacomaprobono (formerly Volunteer Legal Services) can help with civil legal issues in Pierce County when you cannot afford to hire an attorney. You do not have to be a Pierce County resident to get help with your case, but we can help you best if your case is in a Pierce County court or in Puyallup Tribal Court. TO CONTACT US please see the current emergency contact information above.

WELCOME to ALL humans, colors, countries of origin, religions, cultures, ages, sizes, abilities, beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, spoken languages, service animals and support animals. We've been expecting you. You are safe here -- ALL means ALL.

Do you need low-income legal services outside Washington State? Click Here!

If you are low-income you can make a toll-free phone call to get legal advice and referral to volunteer resources in Pierce County. Call the Northwest Justice Project's CLEAR line at 1-888-201-1014 (line open 9:15-12:15 M-F). 'CLEAR' stands for 'Coordinated Legal Education, Advice & Referral.' The number will be very busy so be prepared to take some time for the call. Over 60? Call CLEAR Sr., 1-888-387-7111 You must meet income eligibility requirements for most programs, including CLEAR and Tacomaprobono. There is no income eligibility screening for CLEAR, Sr.

You can now access CLEAR online! CLICK HERE to complete the CLEAR*Online application.

Not eligible for low-income legal services? CLICK HERE to find out whether you are eligible for referral to an attorney through the Washington State Bar Association's Moderate Means Program.

Tacomaprobono is a program of the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association funded by local business and individual contributors to the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded to support the Bar's volunteer attorney program, by the Pierce County Law Firm Campaign, and the Campaign for Equal Justice as a grantee of the Legal Foundation of Washington. The Native American Legal Aid Program is entirely funded by a generous grant from the Puyallup Tribe of Indians to the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Foundation. The mission of the Tacomaprobono community legal aid program is to facilitate access to staff and volunteer attorney advice and representation, as well as self-help materials and general legal information, for low-income individuals who have civil legal needs in Pierce County, Washington. You do not need to be a resident of Pierce County to receive assistance if your case is in Pierce County. Tacomaprobono intake staff do not give legal advice. Call CLEAR at the numbers given above or use CLEAR*Online if you are low-income and need to speak to an attorney. If you have questions about any information on this website please feel free to e-mail us!

Information provided on this site or linked sites is not intended to substitute for professional legal advice or representation in your case. If you have a legal issue you are strongly encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney. If you are not low-income and you need assistance with a case in Pierce County, call the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral line at (253) 383-3432.

Last updated April 3, 2020

THANK YOU to our funders for making
civil legal aid accessible to our clients: